Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Plane Analytical Geometry

Conic rotation [Solved!]

My question

Determine the graph identity `y^2+8x=0` for `phi=6/pi` and write an equation of the rotated or translated graph in general equation form.

Relevant page

[HS Precalculus] Having trouble with rotated conic sections : learnmath

What I've done so far

I know that it is missing terms. And it is a parabola facing left? What I do not know how to do is the rest. Since it is missing so many terms I am used to. Please help.

X

Determine the graph identity `y^2+8x=0` for `phi=6/pi` and write an equation of the rotated or translated graph in general equation form.
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/learnmath/comments/82vdmi/hs_precalculus_having_trouble_with_rotated_conic/">[HS Precalculus] Having trouble with rotated conic sections : learnmath</a>

What I've done so far

I know that it is missing terms. And it is a parabola facing left? What I do not know how to do is the rest. Since it is missing so many terms I am used to. Please help.

Re: Conic rotation

@EW: You are right that you are starting with a parabola facing left. In fact, here it is:

Forum graph - svgphp-012-1-2-3-4-5246810-2-4-6-8xy

(I had to draw it in 2 halves because we are not dealing with a function, rather, it is a relation.)

The question is not as clear as it could be, but I presume it's asking us to rotate the parabola by the amount `phi`. I suspect the original question had `phi=pi/6`, right (not `6/pi`)?

This page should help get you started: Rotate a parabola clockwise

I think the last solution offered there is the simplest to follow.

What method does your course use?

(BTW, my system spat the dummy when you were trying to submit this question because of the symbols used. I suspect you copied it from MS Word, or somewhere, right? I encourage you to use the math entry system in this Forum - it's easy and doesn't give errors.)

X

@EW: You are right that you are starting with a parabola facing left. In fact, here it is:

[graph]310,250;-5.3,2.3;-8.3,10.3,1,2;-sqrt(-8x),sqrt(-8x)[/graph]

(I had to draw it in 2 halves because we are not dealing with a function, rather, it is a relation.)

The question is not as clear as it could be, but I presume it's asking us to rotate the parabola by the amount `phi`. I suspect the original question had `phi=pi/6`, right (not `6/pi`)?

This page should help get you started: <a href="https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2363075/rotate-the-parabola-y-x2-clockwise-45-circ">Rotate a parabola clockwise</a>

I think the last solution offered there is the simplest to follow.

What method does your course use?

(BTW, my system spat the dummy when you were trying to submit this question because of the symbols used. I suspect you copied it from MS Word, or somewhere, right? I encourage you to use the math entry system in this Forum - it's easy and doesn't give errors.)

Re: Conic rotation

EW did not respond to this. I assume he figured it out.

X

EW did not respond to this. I assume he figured it out.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Plane Analytical Geometry questions

Plane Analytical Geometry lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.