Visual.ly data visualization
By Murray Bourne, 18 Jul 2011
We are witnessing an explosion of data like the world has never seen - how to make sense of it all?
Visual.ly is a new data visualization tool that allows you to:
- Explore: You can "see the best infographics on the web all in one place"
- Share: Here you can upload your own infographics "to get exposure and feedback"
- Create: This part is still a work in progress, but you'll be able to upload your own data and create visualizations.
Some example graphics
Here's an extract from an infographic on visuall.ly, Glass half empty - coming water wars, showing how there will be enormous pressure on water resources in Asia this century (since it represents 60% of the world's population but has only 36% of the world's water). The rest of the graphic suggests this may lead to water wars.
Other topics that caught my eye were: Mac person vs PC person (where we learn that "Mac people are 50% more likely than PC people to say they frequently throw parties") and The size of the mobile market (which claims Taiwan has the highest number of mobile phones per 100 people (at 106.45), and the US has 45.51, which is below the world average of 59.3. (Singapore is not included - I suspect it will be right near the top.)
Visual.ly's intro video
Here's Visual.ly's own rah-rah:
- There were some clear errors in the graphics I looked at (like stating 4 billion is half the world's population - it isn't) and typo errors (like "Goggle").
- More importantly, very few of the infographics have a link to the data source. How do we know the data is accurate or reliable? How can we learn more?
- I noticed a few hiccups on the site (like broken images and the odd broken link).
Anything that takes dry, raw data and helps people to understand it is a Good Thing.
Visual.ly will crash and burn if users doubt the accuracy of what they see. They probably should instigate a review process, or at least insist that data sources are provided.
However, it's certainly worth watching this tool as it develops
See the 2 Comments below.