Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Methods of Integration

integration by trig substitution [Solved!]

My question

Chapter 8:Integration by Trig Sub.

Exercise 1: In the third step down the constant 16 is multiplied by the 1/2 in the integrand to arrive at 8. Why does 1/2 still exist in the next step after you integrate?

Relevant page

8. Integration by Trigonometric Substitution

What I've done so far

See above

X

Chapter 8:Integration by Trig Sub.  

Exercise 1: In the third step down the constant 16 is multiplied by the 1/2 in the integrand to arrive at 8.  Why does 1/2 still exist in the next step after you integrate?
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.intmath.com/methods-integration/8-integration-trigonometric-substitution.php">8. Integration by Trigonometric Substitution</a>

What I've done so far

See above

Re: integration by trig substitution

@Phinah: The first `1/2` is multiplied by the `16` outside to give `8` outside. The second `1/2` is the constant that comes from integrating `cos 2x.`

I've added another line in that solution which I hope makes it clearer what's happening. (You may need to refresh the page to see the change.)

X

@Phinah: The first `1/2` is multiplied by the `16` outside to give `8` outside. The second `1/2` is the constant that comes from integrating `cos 2x.`

I've added another line in that solution which I hope makes it clearer what's happening. (You may need to refresh the page to see the change.)

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Methods of Integration questions

• Integration by parts [Solved!]
    Write the following fraction as a sum of partial fractions and then integrate with respect...
  • Geometry [Solved!]
    Exercise #1 on the url below
  • Re: Direct Integration, i.e., Integration without using 'u' substitution [Solved!]
    Right, after we differentiated our solutions, we arrived at the original integrands. Which is...
  • Integration by Parts [Solved!]
    When using IBP, is the rule to simplify v times du FIRST and then integrate...
  • Decomposing Fractions [Solved!]
    In decomposing the fraction of Chapter 11 Integration example 3 b, we are trying to...

Methods of Integration lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.