Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Methods of Integration

Geometry [Solved!]

My question

Exercise #1 on the url below

Relevant page

Geometry and Modeling Practice - MathBitsNotebook(Geo - CCSS Math)

What I've done so far

My solution is not listed in the possible choices.

`2(13)(75)(3)pi` cubic inches / (12 in x 12 in x 12 in) = 10.6 cubic feet.

X

Exercise #1 on the url below
Relevant page

<a href="https://mathbitsnotebook.com/Geometry/Modeling/MDModelingPractice.html">Geometry and Modeling Practice - MathBitsNotebook(Geo - CCSS Math)</a>

What I've done so far

My solution is not listed in the possible choices.

`2(13)(75)(3)pi` cubic inches / (12 in x 12 in x 12 in) = 10.6 cubic feet.

Re: Geometry

It appears you have found the inner radius (`2xxpixx13`) then multiplied by the height (`75`) and by the thickness (`3`). That makes sense (kind of) but what about if we considered it from the outer radius, that is:

`2xxpixxrxxhxxd = 2xxpixx16xx75xx3?`

Our answer is a lot bigger. (I suspect this is how most tradesmen would calculate it - it is greater than the required amount, so there is some "safety margin" leftover.)

The way to approach this problem is to find the volume of the whole thing (heater plus insulating sleeve) minus the volume of the heater.

X

It appears you have found the inner radius (`2xxpixx13`) then multiplied by the height (`75`) and by the thickness (`3`). That makes sense (kind of) but what about if we considered it from the outer radius, that is:

`2xxpixxrxxhxxd = 2xxpixx16xx75xx3?`

Our answer is a lot bigger. (I suspect this is how most tradesmen would calculate it - it is greater than the required amount, so there is some "safety margin" leftover.)

The way to approach this problem is to find the volume of the whole thing (heater plus insulating sleeve) minus the volume of the heater.

Re: Geometry

`[pi times (16^2) times 75] - [pi times (13^2) times 75]` divided by the cubic factor = 11.9!!

Thank you!!

X

`[pi times (16^2) times 75] - [pi times (13^2) times 75]` divided by the cubic factor = 11.9!!

Thank you!!

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Methods of Integration questions

• Integration by parts [Solved!]
    Write the following fraction as a sum of partial fractions and then integrate with respect...
  • Re: Direct Integration, i.e., Integration without using 'u' substitution [Solved!]
    Right, after we differentiated our solutions, we arrived at the original integrands. Which is...
  • Integration by Parts [Solved!]
    When using IBP, is the rule to simplify v times du FIRST and then integrate...
  • Decomposing Fractions [Solved!]
    In decomposing the fraction of Chapter 11 Integration example 3 b, we are trying to...
  • Partial Fraction [Solved!]
    In example 4, the numerator in the next-to-last step is (1/2)x + 1. How did you...

Methods of Integration lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.