Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Methods of Integration

Integration by Parts [Solved!]

My question

When using IBP, is the rule to simplify v times du FIRST and then integrate that result, or is it to integrate 'v' first then multiply that result by du?

Relevant page

7. Integration by Parts

What I've done so far

Example 3 in this section:

After finding dv, if we integrate 'v' alone and then multiply the result by du, we end up with the answer `{x^3 ln 4x) /4` and not the answer on your web site attained by simplifying โ€˜v times duโ€™ first, arriving at `(x^2)/3`, and then integrating that result.

But there was another exercise whereby we obtained the same results using both methods.

X

When using IBP, is the rule to simplify v times du FIRST and then integrate that result, or is it to integrate 'v' first then multiply that result by du?
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.intmath.com/methods-integration/7-integration-by-parts.php">7. Integration by Parts</a>

What I've done so far

Example 3 in this section: 

After finding dv, if we integrate 'v' alone and then multiply the result by du, we end up with the answer `{x^3 ln 4x) /4` and not the answer on your web site attained by simplifying โ€˜v times duโ€™ first, arriving at `(x^2)/3`, and then integrating that result.

But there was another exercise whereby we obtained the same results using both methods.

Re: Integration by Parts

Phinah

I hope I understood your question correctly.

We can only ever integrate the items that come before the `dx` part. So this is OK:

`int (x^3)/3 dx/x = int \color{red}{\fbox{:(x^2)/3:}} dx` `=1/3 int x^2 dx = (x^3)/9 + K`

But this is NOT OK:

`int \color{red}{\fbox{:(x^3)/3:}} dx/x` `= 1/\color{red}{\fbox{:3:}} int \color{red}{\fbox{:x^3:}} dx/x` `=1/3 (x^4)/4 xx 1/x = (x^3)/12 + K`

It will nearly always result in a different (and incorrect) answer.

Can you point out an example where it appears it was done the second way?

X

Phinah

I hope I understood your question correctly. 

We can only ever integrate the items that come <b>before</b> the `dx` part. So this is OK:

`int (x^3)/3 dx/x = int \color{red}{\fbox{:(x^2)/3:}} dx` `=1/3 int x^2 dx = (x^3)/9 + K`

But this is NOT OK:

`int \color{red}{\fbox{:(x^3)/3:}} dx/x` `= 1/\color{red}{\fbox{:3:}} int \color{red}{\fbox{:x^3:}} dx/x` `=1/3  (x^4)/4 xx 1/x = (x^3)/12 + K`

It will nearly always result in a different (and incorrect) answer.

Can you point out an example where it appears it was done the second way?

Re: Integration by Parts

Okay I see how it is now done. Thank you.

X

Okay I see how it is now done. Thank you.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Methods of Integration questions

• Integration by parts [Solved!]
    Write the following fraction as a sum of partial fractions and then integrate with respect...
  • Geometry [Solved!]
    Exercise #1 on the url below
  • Re: Direct Integration, i.e., Integration without using 'u' substitution [Solved!]
    Right, after we differentiated our solutions, we arrived at the original integrands. Which is...
  • Decomposing Fractions [Solved!]
    In decomposing the fraction of Chapter 11 Integration example 3 b, we are trying to...
  • Partial Fraction [Solved!]
    In example 4, the numerator in the next-to-last step is (1/2)x + 1. How did you...

Methods of Integration lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.