Conic Sections - interactive 3-D graph
In the following interactive, you can vary parameters to produce the conics we learned about in this chapter.
Things to do
As you change sliders, observe the resulting conic type (either circle, ellipse, parabola or hyperbola).
- Change the y-value, which moves the intersecting plane up and down.
- Change the θ-value, which changes the angle of the intersecting plane.
- Change the x-value, which moves the plane left or right. (This makes more sense when the angle θ is not zero.)
- Change the camera angle by dragging the graph up or down.
- If your computer runs out of memory, you can disable the real-time update of curves.
Interactive 3-D Conics Graph
Rotation angle θ =
(Click and drag the graph to rotate the camera.) Disable real-time update:
Go back to « Conic Sections Summary
This 3-D conic interactive was developed by Lodewijk Bogaards. Used with permission.
Didn't find what you are looking for on this page? Try search:
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Ready for a break?
Play a math game.
(Well, not really a math game, but each game was made using math...)
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!
Math Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand math lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Math videos