Online Graphing Calculator: Plot your own SVG Math Graphs
You can plot 2 functions, function 1 (in blue) and function 2 (in green).
Edit your functions and then click the "Graph it" button below. To remove a graph, leave its text box blank.
(If you can't see the graph below, try this alternative graph plotter).
(You can resize the graph by dragging the handle in the bottom right corner.)
Some graphs to try
The graphing calculator will accept any of the following functions (use the notation shown):
- Straight lines: (like 3x - 2)
- Polynomials: (like x^3 + 3x^2 - 5x + 2)
- Any of the trigonometric functions: sin(x), cos(x/2), tan(2x), csc(3x), sec(x/4), cot(x)
- The inverse trigonometric functions: arcsin(x), arccos(x), arctan(x), arccsc(x), arcsec(x), arccot(x)
- Exponential (e^x) and logarithm (ln(x) for natural log. For log base 10 you need to put ln(x)/ln(10). I'm using Change of Base rule.)
- Absolute value: use "abs" like this: abs(x)
- The hyperbolic functions and their inverses: sinh(x), cosh(x), tanh(x), arcsinh(x), arccosh(x), arctanh(x)
- Sign: returns 1 if the sign of the function value is positive, −1 if the sign of the function is negative. For example, try sign(sin(x)).
- ceiling: ceil(x) and round: round(x)
- random: random(x);
- square root: sqrt(x)
You can also use any combinations of the above, like "ln(abs(x))" (without the quotation marks, of course).
You can just have one graph if you want - just leave one of the "function" boxes empty.
The above illustration is an example of vector graphics - images that are made using vectors.
The graph is not an image (that is it's not a .GIF or .JPG). It is a scalable vector graphics text file which is being rendered by your browser as a picture.
Credit to the developers of ASCIISVG, particularly Peter Jipsen, Chapman University.
See also the article: Math graphs on the Web without images
For more information about vectors, see:
- Vector Addition (example graphs showing many examples of vector addition)
- Vector Art (an important new branch of art, made using vectors)
Didn't find what you are looking for on this page? Try search:
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Ready for a break?
Play a math game.
(Well, not really a math game, but each game was made using math...)
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!
Short URL for this Page
Save typing! You can use this URL to reach this page:
Math Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand math lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Math videos