Differential equation - has y^2 [Solved!]

My question

I am seraching a solution of:
c1*y^2+c2+dy/dx = 0
c1 and c2 are constants

Relevant page

1. Solving Differential Equations

What I've done so far

Different math books, have not been able to find a solution.

X

I am seraching a solution of:
c1*y^2+c2+dy/dx = 0
c1 and c2 are constants
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.intmath.com/differential-equations/1-solving-des.php">1. Solving Differential  Equations</a>

What I've done so far

Different math books, have not been able to find a solution.

Re: Differential equation - has y^2

@Aage: This is actually a non-linear differential equation, which is beyond the scope of the IntMath Forum. This PDF has a similar example which you may find useful: An Example of a Non-linear Differential Equation

X

@Aage: This is actually a <b>non-</b>linear differential equation, which is beyond the scope of the IntMath Forum. This PDF has a similar example which you may find useful: <a href="https://math.dartmouth.edu/archive/m23s06/publichtml/handouts/nonlinearexample.pdf">An Example of a Non-linear Differential Equation</a>

You should not dismiss the problem as nonlinear before trying the frobenius method, revealing the solution y = (c2/c1)/x. This means there exists some transformation to a linear system, provided the singular point is removed.

Alternatively, you can solve this problem simply by deducing the proper transform: z=1/y.

The resulting ode factors:
(1/z^2)(1-c2/c1*dz/dx) =0.
So for y not zero, the solution (above) exists linearly.

Thanks for your website.

X

You should not dismiss the problem as nonlinear before trying the frobenius method, revealing the solution y = (c2/c1)/x. This means there exists some transformation to a linear system, provided the singular point is removed.

Alternatively, you can solve this problem simply by deducing the proper transform: z=1/y.

The resulting ode factors:
(1/z^2)(1-c2/c1*dz/dx) =0.
So for y not zero, the solution (above) exists linearly.

Thanks for your website.

@stephenB: Thanks for your input.

X

@stephenB: Thanks for your input.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Differential Equations questions

• Re: ODE [Pending...]
    You haven't shown any working so I can't see where you are getting stuck. Your...
  • polygons [Solved!]
    Trying to find the area of a honey comb. My answer does not equal...
  • Re: Differential equation: separable [Solved!]
    Integrating both sides of int 1/(-3x) dx = int 1/y dy gives -1/3 ln|x| = ln|y| + K...
  • dy/dx = xe^(y-2x), form differntial eqaution [Solved!]
    dy/dx = xe^(y-2x) , i am asked to form differential equation using this equation ....
  • ODE seperable method [Solved!]
    (y/x)*(dy/dx)=sqrt(1+x^2+y^2+x^2*y^2)

Differential Equations lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.