Differential equations are a special type of integration problem.
Here is a simple differential equation of the type that we met earlier in the Integration chapter:
We didn't call it a differential equation before, but it is one. We'll see several different types of differential equations in this chapter.
In this Differential Equations Chapter
Why are we doing this?
There are many applications of differential equations, including:
In this chapter we will learn about:
Definition and Solution of DEs
- Predicting AIDS - a DEs example
- 1. Solving Differential Equations, write equations in differential form, solve simple differential equations and recognise different types of differential equations
- 2. Separation of Variables - a method of solving differential equations
- 3. Integrable Combinations - a method of solving differential equations
- 4. Linear DEs of Order 1 - and how to solve them
Applications - Electronics
- 5. Application: RL Circuits - containing a resistor and inductor
- 6. Application: RC Circuits - containing a resistor and capacitor
Second Order Differential Equations
- 7. Second Order DEs - Homogeneous - definition and method of solution
- 8. Second Order DEs - Damping - RLC - in a circuit with resistor, inductor and capacitor
- 9. Second Order DEs - Forced Response - constant and non-constant driving forces
- 10. Second Order DEs - Solve Using SNB - solving DEs using a computer algebra system
Before we see how to solve differential equations, let's see an example of them in action in the AIDS example.
Didn't find what you are looking for on this page? Try search:
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Ready for a break?
Play a math game.
(Well, not really a math game, but each game was made using math...)
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!
Calculus Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand calculus lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Calculus videos