Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Counting and Probability - Introduction

Poker Odds [Solved!]

My question

Hi

I have found odds for 5 card poker hands made from 2 player cards, five community cards (7 total cards), and two wild cards added for a 54 card deck.

My question is how to calculate the effect of adding one blank card to the deck that does not help make a hand, so that when this card appears in a player hand or in the community cards, it forces the participants to make their hands using the remaining six cards

Thank you in advance for your help.

DMF

Relevant page

7 Card Poker Probabilities

What I've done so far

I have not yet tried to solve this.

X

Hi

I have found odds for 5 card poker hands made from 2 player cards, five community cards (7 total cards), and two wild cards added for a 54 card deck. 

My question is how to calculate the effect of adding one blank card to the deck that does not help make a hand, so that when this card appears in a player hand or in the community cards, it forces the participants to make their hands using the remaining six cards

Thank you in advance for your help.

DMF
Relevant page

<a href="http://www.durangobill.com/Poker_Probabilities_7_Cards.html">7 Card Poker Probabilities</a>

What I've done so far

I have not yet tried to solve this.

Re: Poker Odds

@dmf: I suspect calculating the final probabilities would be quite involved, as the page you linked to indicates.

But as a general rule, we would need to make use of "choose `r` objects from `n` objects" as explained in the page Combinations.

Your pack now has 55 cards and you would be choosing 7 cards for your hand. You would have the following number of possible poker hands:

`C7^55 = (55!)/((7!)(48!)) = 202,927,725`

The probability of drawing a particular card in a hand of `m` cards with a deck of size `n` is `m/n` (Reference)

So the probability of choosing that blank card would be `7/55`

Now, maybe Durangobill would be able to tie all this into the already complex probability calculations for 7-card hands!

X

@dmf: I suspect calculating the final probabilities would be quite involved, as the page you linked to indicates.

But as a general rule, we would need to make use of "choose `r` objects from `n` objects" as explained in the page <a href="https://www.intmath.com/counting-probability/4-combinations.php">Combinations</a>.

Your pack now has 55 cards and you would be choosing 7 cards for your hand. You would have the following number of possible poker hands:

`C7^55 = (55!)/((7!)(48!)) = 202,927,725`

The probability of drawing a particular card in a hand of `m` cards with a deck of size `n` is `m/n` (<a href="https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/146187/probability-of-picking-a-specific-card-from-a-deck">Reference</a>)

So the probability of choosing that blank card would be `7/55`

Now, maybe Durangobill would be able to tie all this into the already complex probability calculations for 7-card hands!

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Counting and Probability questions

Counting and Probability lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.