Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Analytic Trigonometry

inverse functions [Solved!]

My question

I have the problem sec(arccos 5) and I understand that sec is the reciprocal of cos. But if the domain of arccos is [0,pi] then how can this be 1/5?

Relevant page

Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine

What I've done so far

I have a good understanding of the inverse functions and their domains, so I just don't get why you can even do arccos of 5.

X

I have the problem sec(arccos 5) and I understand that sec is the reciprocal of cos. But if the domain of arccos is [0,pi] then how can this be 1/5?
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.wolframalpha.com/">Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine</a>

What I've done so far

I have a good understanding of the inverse functions and their domains, so I just don't get why you can even do arccos of 5.

Re: inverse functions

Hi ShayT: I share your view! There is something odd about this.

A corrections first. The domain of `y=arccos(x)` is actually `-1 <=x <= 1, x ne 0.` The range however, is `0 <= y <= pi.`

Here's the graph:

Forum graph - svgphp-0123-1-2-312345-1xy

But either way, we shouldn't be able to evaluate `sec(arccos 5)` since `arccos 5` is not defined. (For those not sure how this works, see: Composition of functions.)

Here's the graph of `y=sec(arccos(x))`. It's actually the same as `y=1/x` for `-1 <=x <= 1:`

Forum graph - svgphp-1123-1-2-3123-1-2-3xy

Wolfram|Alpha's domain solution correctly states the domain for `sec(arccos x)`, but then goes on to plot it for -5.1 to 5.1.

They also give `sec(arccos 5) = 1/5` as per your question. I've left feedback on this issue on the W|A site and we'll see what they say.

X

Hi ShayT: I share your view! There is something odd about this.

A corrections first. The domain of `y=arccos(x)` is actually `-1 &lt;=x &lt;= 1, x ne 0.` The <b>range</b> however, is `0 &lt;= y &lt;= pi.`

Here's the graph:

[graph]310,250;-3,3;-1,5,1,1;arccos(x),[/graph]

But either way, we shouldn't be able to evaluate `sec(arccos 5)` since `arccos 5` is not defined. (For those not sure how this works, see: <a href="http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/mc-ty-composite-2009-1.pdf">Composition of functions</a>.)

Here's the graph of `y=sec(arccos(x))`. It's actually the same as `y=1/x` for `-1 &lt;=x &lt;= 1:`

[graph]310,250;-3,3;-3,3,1,1;1/cos(arccos(x)),[/graph]

Wolfram|Alpha's domain solution correctly states the domain for `sec(arccos x)`, but then goes on to plot it for -5.1 to 5.1. 

They also give `sec(arccos 5) = 1/5` as per your question. I've left feedback on this issue on the W|A site and we'll see what they say.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Analytic Trigonometry questions

Analytic Trigonometry lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.