1. Derivatives of the Sine, Cosine and Tangent Functions
by M. Bourne
It can be shown from first principles that:
`(d(sin\ x))/(dx)=cos\ x`
`(d(cos\ x))/dx=-sin\ x`
In words, we would say:
The derivative of sin x is cos x,
The derivative of cos x is −sin x (note the negative sign!) and
The derivative of tan x is sec2x.
Now, if u = f(x) is a function of x, then by using the chain rule, we have:
`(d(sin\ u))/(dx)=cos\ u(du)/(dx)`
`(d(cos\ u))/dx=-sin\ u(du)/(dx)`
Differentiate `y = sin(x^2 + 3)`.
Find the derivative of `y = cos\ 3x^4`.
Differentiate `y = cos^3 2x`
Find the derivative of `y = 3\ sin\ 4x + 5\ cos\ 2x^3`.
1. Differentiate y = 4 cos (6x2 + 5).
2. Find the derivative of y = 3 sin3 (2x4 + 1).
3. Differentiate y = (x − cos2x)4.
4. Find the derivative of:
5. Differentiate y = 2x sin x + 2 cos x − x2cos x.
6. Find the derivative of the implicit function
x cos 2y + sin x cos y = 1.
7. Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve of
`y=(2\ sin\ 3x)/x`
where `x = 0.15`
8. The current (in amperes) in an amplifier circuit, as a function of the time t (in seconds) is given by
`i = 0.10\ cos (120πt + π/6)`.
Find the expression for the voltage across a 2.0 mH inductor in the circuit, given that
9. Show that y = cos3x tan x satisfies
`cos\ x(dy)/(dx)+3y\ sin\ x-cos^2x=0`
10. Find the derivative of y = x tan x
Didn't find what you are looking for on this page? Try search:
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Ready for a break?
Play a math game.
(Well, not really a math game, but each game was made using math...)
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!
Calculus Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand calculus lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Calculus videos