By M Bourne
1. Basic Definitions of imaginary and complex numbers - and where they come from.
2. Basic Operations - adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing complex numbers.
3. Graphical Representation of complex numbers.
4. Polar Form of complex numbers
5. Exponential Form of complex numbers
6. Products and Quotients - more multiplying and dividing
Fractals are computer-generated art using complex numbers.
See more at: Fractals.
7. Powers and Roots of complex numbers
8. AC Circuit Definitions - an electronics application of complex numbers
9. Impedance and Phase Angle - using complex numbers in AC circuits
10. Reactance and Angular Velocity - important when creating alternating currents
12. Parallel AC Circuits with exercises
How Complex can Numbers Get?
What are complex numbers ? What are they good for?
Application: You are designing a simple AC circuit and you need to know the voltage across different parts of the circuit.
Perhaps you need to know what AC voltage to apply to the circuit, given that the current in the circuit needs to be 10 A.
Before trying to study complex numbers, it's a good idea to go back over these topics:
Radians (an alternative way of measuring angles).
For a complete list of vocabulary in this section (this includes words you have met already and new words that you will learn in this section), go to:
How do you do it? What do you need to know?
To solve this problem, you need to know about complex numbers. When you finish studying this section, you will know a lot about complex numbers and their applications.
[You can see how to solve this electronics problem starting at AC Circuit Definitions.]
The chapter begins with Basic Definitions »
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Algebra Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand algebra lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Algebra videos
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!