Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Trigonometric Functions

Coterminal angle [Solved!]

My question

find the least positive degree of an angle that is coterminal with an angle of the following measurment.
-205 degrees

Relevant page

Interactive Mathematics

What I've done so far

Drawn plenty of triangles

X

find the least positive degree of an angle that is coterminal with an angle of the following measurment.
-205 degrees
Relevant page

<a href="/">Interactive Mathematics</a>

What I've done so far

Drawn plenty of triangles

Re: Coterminal angle

What does "coterminal" mean?

X

What does "coterminal" mean?

Anhy didn't respond to my question, so I'll just go ahead.

Coterminal means "having the same initial and terminal sides". That is, they look the same, even though they may involve more revolutions.

In this case, we need to find an equivalent positive angle for `-205^"o"`. This means the angle goes in a ,strong>clockwise direction (since the angle is negative), just a little more than a straight angle (`180^"o"`).

It will be `360^"o" - 205^"o" = 155^"o"`

So the required positive angle is `155^"o"`.

X

Anhy didn't respond to my question, so I'll just go ahead.

Coterminal means "having the same initial and terminal sides". That is, they <strong>look</strong> the same, even though they may involve more revolutions.

In this case, we need to find an equivalent positive angle for `-205^"o"`. This means the angle goes in a ,strong&gt;clockwise direction (since the angle is negative), just a little more than a straight angle (`180^"o"`). 

It will be `360^"o" - 205^"o" = 155^"o"`

So the required positive angle is `155^"o"`.

"Having the same initial and terminal sides" is what we mean when we say something is coterminal. That is, despite the fact that they may include more revolutions, they appear identical.

X

"Having the same initial and terminal sides" is what we mean when we say something is coterminal. That is, despite the fact that they may include more revolutions, they appear identical.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Trigonometric Functions questions

Trigonometric Functions lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.