Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Differentiation of Transcendental Functions

derivative of log function [Solved!]

My question

In the chapter Derivative of the Logarithmic Function, Example #6, is it necessary to apply the change of base to get to the right solution?

Relevant page

5. Derivative of the Logarithmic Function

What I've done so far

Based upon the fact that

`dy/dx ` `= 1/["argument" xx ln(base)] ` `xx [d/dx("argument")]`

my solution was

`dy/dx = 1/[6x ln 2] * (6) = 1/[x ln 2]`

X

In the chapter Derivative of the Logarithmic Function, Example #6, is it necessary to apply the change of base to get to the right solution?
Relevant page

<a href="/differentiation-transcendental/5-derivative-logarithm.php">5. Derivative of the Logarithmic Function</a>

What I've done so far

Based upon the fact that 

`dy/dx ` `= 1/["argument" xx ln(base)] ` `xx [d/dx("argument")]`

my solution was 

`dy/dx = 1/[6x ln 2] * (6) = 1/[x ln 2]`

Re: derivative of log function

@Phinah

Please use the math entry system so I, and others, can read your question. I have edited it just now.

I checked your answer by finding `1/(ln(2))` and it has the same value, `1.4427`, so your approach appears to be fine!

Whenever I see a log expression with a base other than `e`, I automatically change base. This means I only need to learn one formula and can apply it in many places. In this case, I like the look of your approach better! :-)

X

@Phinah

Please use the math entry system so I, and others, can read your question. I have edited it just now.

I checked your answer by finding `1/(ln(2))` and it has the same value, `1.4427`, so your approach appears to be fine!

Whenever I see a log expression with a base other than `e`, I automatically change base. This means I only need to learn one formula and can apply it in many places. In this case, I like the look of your approach better! :-)

Re: derivative of log function

Ok got it! Thank you for the explanation.

X

Ok got it! Thank you for the explanation.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Differentiation of Transcendental Functions questions

• Re: Differentiating tanh [Solved!]
    I think it's Put u=x-9 so y= tanh u. Then dy/dx = dy/(du) (du)/dx = (1-tanh^2 u)(du)/dx...

Differentiation of Transcendental Functions lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.