Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Applications of Integration

Applications of Integrations #11 [Solved!]

My question

I haven't had calculus in many years but I like to work problems every now and then to stay sharp. I have a problem which is almost identical to your item 11 Arc Length of a Curve using integration. I am following the logic all the way through example 1 down to the answer. It states Y = 1.35 sin 0.589x so dy/dx = 0.795 cos 0.589x. How did the jump happen between these equations? I don't follow how 1.35 sin becomes 0.795 cos.

Relevant page

11. Arc Length of a Curve using Integration

What I've done so far

Whacking my head against a wall :)

I understand the logic of a and b and the move to the integral but cannot understand where 0.795 cos came from.

X

I haven't had calculus in many years but I like to work problems every now and then to stay sharp.  I have a problem which is almost identical to your item 11 Arc Length of a Curve using integration.  I am following the logic all the way through example 1 down to the answer.  It states Y = 1.35 sin 0.589x so dy/dx = 0.795 cos 0.589x.  How did the jump happen between these equations? I don't follow how 1.35 sin becomes 0.795 cos.
Relevant page

<a href="/applications-integration/11-arc-length-curve.php">11. Arc Length of a Curve using Integration</a>

What I've done so far

Whacking my head against a wall :)

I understand the logic of a and b and the move to the integral but cannot understand where 0.795 cos came from.

Re: Applications of Integrations #11

@Kabookiep: The background can be found here: Differentiation of Sin, Cos, Tan.

It's actually this case:

`dy/dx=dy/(du) (du)/dx`

For that example, we have `y=sin u` where:

`u=0.598x` so `(du)/dx=0.598`

and

`dy/(du) = 1.35 cos u = 1.35 cos 0.598x`

Thus

`dy/dx=[1.35cos(0.598x)] xx (0.598)`

`= 0.795 cos 0.598x`

X

@Kabookiep: The background can be found here: <a href="https://www.intmath.com/differentiation-transcendental/1-derivative-sine-cosine-tangent.php">Differentiation of Sin, Cos, Tan</a><a></a>.

It's actually this case:

`dy/dx=dy/(du) (du)/dx` 

For that example, we have `y=sin u` where:

`u=0.598x` so `(du)/dx=0.598`

and

`dy/(du) = 1.35 cos u = 1.35 cos 0.598x`

Thus

`dy/dx=[1.35cos(0.598x)] xx (0.598)`

`= 0.795 cos 0.598x`

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Applications of Integration questions

Applications of Integration lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.