Before we study algebra, it helps to have a good understanding of the number laws. If you find that you're getting lost in algebra, come back to this chapter for revision.
Math of Beauty
Math Behind the Beauty
In this chapter, we learn about:
- Integers (the whole numbers, plus negative whole numbers)
- Number properties (where we learn about imaginary and real numbers, rational and irrational numbers, prime numbers and reciprocals)
- Order of operations (why 3 + 2 × 4 does not equal 20)
- Powers, roots and radicals (indices)
- Approximate numbers (significant digits)
- Scientific notation (for really large and really small numbers)
- Ratio and proportion (comparing two or more quantities)
- Why do we find some people more beautiful than others? It could be due to Math Behind the Beauty.
- Pi is a special number in mathematics.
π, √2, 7, 0.56, e
Now, let's start with an introduction to integers »