Before we study algebra, it helps to have a good understanding of the number laws. If you find that you are getting lost in algebra, come back to this chapter for revision.
In this chapter, we learn about:
Math of Beauty
Math Behind the Beauty
- Integers (the whole numbers, plus negative whole numbers)
- Number properties (where we learn about imaginary and real numbers, rational and irrational numbers, prime numbers and reciprocals)
- Order of operations (why 3 + 2 × 4 does not equal 20)
- Powers, roots and radicals (indices)
- Approximate numbers (significant digits)
- Scientific notation (for really large and really small numbers)
- Ratio and proportion (comparing two or more quantities)
- Why do we find some people beautiful, and not others? See Math Behind the Beauty.
- Pi is a special number in mathematics.
π, √2, 7, 0.56, e
Now, let's start with an introduction to integers »
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Algebra Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand algebra lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Algebra videos
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!