Before we study algebra, it helps to have a good understanding of the number laws. If you find that you are getting lost in algebra, come back to this chapter for revision.
In this chapter, we learn about:
Math of Beauty
Math Behind the Beauty
- Integers (the whole numbers, plus negative whole numbers)
- Number properties (where we learn about imaginary and real numbers, rational and irrational numbers, prime numbers and reciprocals)
- Order of operations (why 3 + 2 × 4 does not equal 20)
- Powers, roots and radicals (indices)
- Approximate numbers (significant digits)
- Scientific notation (for really large and really small numbers)
- Ratio and proportion (comparing two or more quantities)
- Why do we find some people beautiful, and not others? See Math Behind the Beauty.
- Pi is a special number in mathematics.
π, √2, 7, 0.56, e
Now, let's start with an introduction to integers »
Didn't find what you are looking for on this page? Try search:
Online Algebra Solver
This algebra solver can solve a wide range of math problems. (Please be patient while it loads.)
Go to: Online algebra solver
Ready for a break?
Play a math game.
(Well, not really a math game, but each game was made using math...)
The IntMath Newsletter
Sign up for the free IntMath Newsletter. Get math study tips, information, news and updates each fortnight. Join thousands of satisfied students, teachers and parents!
Short URL for this Page
Save typing! You can use this URL to reach this page:
Algebra Lessons on DVD
Easy to understand algebra lessons on DVD. See samples before you commit.
More info: Algebra videos