Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Integration

Different parabola equation when finding area [Solved!]

My question

In chapter 3, compare example 1 to example 3. Why isnt (3 - x^2) the correct parabolic equation for example 3?

Relevant page

3. Areas Under Curves

What I've done so far

When I went to solve example 3, I used the equation `(3 - x^2)` for the parabola. I found out that was not the correct parabolic equation upon looking at your solution.
I am not sure why my equation cannot be used even though the vertex is not at (0,3), i.e. not lined up with the origin? The height is still three so I thought it would be okay.

X

In chapter 3, compare example 1 to example 3.  Why isnt (3 - x^2) the correct parabolic equation for example 3?
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.intmath.com/integration/3-area-under-curve.php">3. Areas Under Curves</a>

What I've done so far

When I went to solve example 3, I used the equation `(3 - x^2)` for the parabola. I found out that was not the correct parabolic equation upon looking at your solution.
I am not sure why my equation cannot be used even though the vertex is not at (0,3), i.e. not lined up with the origin?  The height is still three so I thought it would be okay.

Re: Different parabola equation when finding area

@phinah: Your parabola will certainly have the correct height, but let's consider its width. Where does your parabola intersect with the x-axis?

What width at the x-axis does this give you?

X

@phinah: Your parabola will certainly have the correct height, but let's consider its width. Where does your parabola intersect with the <i>x</i>-axis?

What width at the <i>x</i>-axis does this give you?

I realized after I inquired to you that this upside down parabola is a shift one unit to the right on the x-axis.

So I came up with the `-(x-1)^2 + 3.`

But the parabola bottom would start at `(0,2)` Would that be an issue?

NOTE: The integral would be `(-x^2 + 2x + 2) dx` for a value of `16/3` square units.

X

I realized after I inquired to you that this upside down parabola is a shift one unit to the right on the x-axis.  

So I came up with the `-(x-1)^2 + 3.`  

But the parabola bottom would start at `(0,2)` Would that be an issue?

NOTE: The integral would be `(-x^2 + 2x + 2) dx` for a value of `16/3` square units.

@phinah: I edited your answer to include math formatting, which you are encouraged to do.

Once again, the width at the `x`-axis is a problem (both with your original attempt and with this revision.)

Please try to answer my original questions:

a. Where does your parabola intersect with the x-axis when we use `y=3-x^2?`

b. What width at the `x`-axis does this give you?

You may find some of the background in this article useful: How to find the equation of a quadratic function from its graph

X

@phinah: I edited your answer to include math formatting, which you are encouraged to do.

Once again, the width at the `x`-axis is a problem (both with your original attempt and with this revision.)

Please try to answer my original questions: 

a. Where does your parabola intersect with the x-axis when we use `y=3-x^2?`

b. What width at the `x`-axis does this give you?

You may find some of the background in this article useful: <a href="https://www.intmath.com/blog/mathematics/how-to-find-the-equation-of-a-quadratic-function-from-its-graph-6070">How to find the equation of a quadratic function from its graph</a>

`3 - x^2 = 0 `
` x = +/- sqrt 3'
So my length is 3.46 when it should only be 2.

X

`3 - x^2 = 0 `
` x = +/- sqrt 3'
So my length is 3.46 when it should only be 2.

Correction

`x = + or - sqrt 3

X

Correction 

`x = + or - sqrt 3

@Phinah: Yes, correct, so it's not possible to use `y=3-x^2` for your function. But it is possible to use one that passes through `(0, 3).` Can you find it?

BTW, to achieve "plus or minus" in the math entry system, you enter

+-

So your answer would look like: `x = +- sqrt(3)`.

You can see all the syntax for mathematical symbols here: ASCIIMath syntax.

X

@Phinah: Yes, correct, so it's not possible to use `y=3-x^2` for your function. But it is possible to use one that passes through `(0, 3).` Can you find it?

BTW, to achieve "plus or minus" in the math entry system, you enter

+-

So your answer would look like: `x = +- sqrt(3)`.

You can see all the syntax for mathematical symbols here: <a href="https://www.intmath.com/help/send-math-email-syntax.php">ASCIIMath syntax</a>.

I cannot.

X

I cannot.

Well, since we know the width of the arch must be 2 m, then we know it must go through `(-1, 0)` and `(1, 0).`

So using the general form of a quadratic,

`y = ax^2 + bx + c,`

you can substitute the 3 known points in and thus find the values of `a, b` and `c.`

Have a go!

X

Well, since we know the width of the arch must be 2 m, then we know it must go through `(-1, 0)` and `(1, 0).`

So using the general form of a quadratic,

`y = ax^2 + bx + c,`

you can substitute the 3 known points in and thus find the values of `a, b` and `c.`

Have a go!

@murray: phinah hasn't responded. Would you like me to answer this?

X

@murray: phinah hasn't responded. Would you like me to answer this?

@stephenB: Sure, please go ahead!

X

@stephenB: Sure, please go ahead!

Okay, so we have the general formula

`y = ax^2 + bx + c,`

and the 3 points it needs to go through, `(-1, 0),` `(1, 0)` and `(0, 3).`

Plugging them in:

`0 = a(1)^2 + b(1) + c ` `= a + b + c ... [1]`

`0 = a(-1)^2 + b(-1) + c ` `= a - b + c ... [2]`

`3 = a(0)^2 + b(0) + c = c ... [3]`

Adding [1] and [2] gives

`0 = 2a + 2c` which means `a + c = 0 ...[4]`

From [3] we know `c=3`, so from [4], `a=-3` and then plugging those into [1] gives `b=0.`

That is, the parabola's equation is:

`y = -3x^2 + 3`

X

Okay, so we have the general formula

`y = ax^2 + bx + c,`

and the 3 points it needs to go through,  `(-1, 0),`  `(1, 0)` and `(0, 3).`

Plugging them in:

`0 = a(1)^2 + b(1) + c ` `= a + b + c ... [1]`

`0 = a(-1)^2 + b(-1) + c ` `= a - b + c ... [2]`

`3 = a(0)^2 + b(0) + c = c ... [3]`

Adding [1] and [2] gives

`0 = 2a + 2c` which means `a + c = 0 ...[4]`

From [3] we know `c=3`, so from [4], `a=-3` and then plugging those into [1] gives `b=0.`

That is, the parabola's equation is:

`y = -3x^2 + 3`

Thanks, stephenB.

I think if phinah tries the equation you found, he will find the area of the parabolic glass pane will the the same as in my solution.

X

Thanks, stephenB.

I think if phinah tries the equation you found, he will find the area of the parabolic glass pane will the the same as in my solution.

Phinah DID respond with the correct solution Murray BEFORE Stephen did. I do not know why it did not come through

X

Phinah DID respond with the correct solution Murray BEFORE Stephen did.  I do not know why it did not come through

Hi Phinah. Sorry - it must have been a temporary database glitch or something.

X

Hi Phinah. Sorry - it must have been a temporary database glitch or something.

Okay Murray. Thank you.

X

Okay Murray.  Thank you.

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Integration - Introduction questions

Integration - Introduction lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.