Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Entering math graphs images

Curved arrows [Solved!]

My question

Hi. Sorry if this isn't the right to place to ask this, but I haven't found any other forum where I could try to get some help with Mathematical notation (Asciimath).

I want to know if it is possible to show a curved arrow pointing right over some letters. Something like [overset(frown)(AB)], but with an arrow instead. Can you guys help me? Or send me to where I could try to understand this a little bit better?

Thanks a lot,

Relevant page

AsciiMath

What I've done so far

I've tried using the LaTeX notation "\curvearrowright" but it doesn't works. :/

X

Hi. Sorry if this isn't the right to place to ask this, but I haven't found any other forum where I could try to get some help with Mathematical notation (Asciimath).

I want to know if it is possible to show a curved arrow pointing right over some letters. Something like [overset(frown)(AB)], but with an arrow instead. Can you guys help me? Or send me to where I could try to understand this a little bit better?

Thanks a lot,
Relevant page

<a href="http://asciimath.org/">AsciiMath</a>

What I've done so far

I've tried using the LaTeX notation "\curvearrowright" but it doesn't works. :/

Re: Curved arrows

Hi Aleixo

Sure - you can ask about ASCIIMath here.

It depends probably somewhat on your environment and the version of ASCIIMath that you are using. Are you using ASCIIMath with MathJax or KaTeX? Or for some other arrangement? If you are using MathJax via CDN, you can't really do what I explain below, but you could ask them to add the lines to their ASCIIMath version.

curvearrowright was not in the original ASCIIMath as far as I could see. I added the following lines to my version of it (below the existing arrows lines, which is around line 250 for my version) just now:

{input:"curvArrLt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21B6", tex:"curvearrowleft", ttype:CONST},
{input:"curvArrRt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21B7", tex:"curvearrowright", ttype:CONST},
{input:"circArrLt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21BA", tex:"circlearrowleft", ttype:CONST},
{input:"circArrRt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21BB", tex:"circlearrowright", ttype:CONST},

What this does is to tell ASCIIMath to output the appropriate Unicode symbol when it comes across the "input" codes (which I made up - you could use whatever you want. I first tried more symbolic things like o->, but that just confused the output).

Does it work? Yep - here's how it looks:

Input: `curvArrLt` Output: `curvArrLt`
Input: `curvArrRt` Output: `curvArrRt`
Input: `circArrLt` Output: `circArrLt`
Input: `circArrLt` Output: `circArrLt`

(If the above doesn't appear to work, refresh the page - your cache may have the old ASCIIMath version.)

X

Hi Aleixo

Sure - you can ask about ASCIIMath here. 

It depends probably somewhat on your environment and the version of ASCIIMath that you are using. Are you using ASCIIMath with MathJax or KaTeX? Or for some other arrangement? If you are using MathJax via CDN, you can't really do what I explain below, but you could ask them to add the lines to their ASCIIMath version.

<code>curvearrowright</code> was not in the original ASCIIMath as far as I could see. I added the following lines to my version of it (below the existing arrows lines, which is around line 250 for my version) just now:

<code>{input:"curvArrLt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21B6", tex:"curvearrowleft", ttype:CONST},
{input:"curvArrRt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21B7", tex:"curvearrowright", ttype:CONST},
{input:"circArrLt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21BA", tex:"circlearrowleft", ttype:CONST},
{input:"circArrRt", tag:"mo", output:"\u21BB", tex:"circlearrowright", ttype:CONST},</code>

What this does is to tell ASCIIMath to output the appropriate Unicode symbol when it comes across the "input" codes (which I made up - you could use whatever you want. I first tried more symbolic things like <code>o-&gt;</code>, but that just confused the output).

Does it work? Yep - here's how it looks:

Input: <code>`curvArrLt`</code> Output: `curvArrLt`
Input: <code>`curvArrRt`</code> Output: `curvArrRt`
Input: <code>`circArrLt`</code> Output: `circArrLt`
Input: <code>`circArrLt`</code> Output: `circArrLt`

(If the above doesn't appear to work, refresh the page - your cache may have the old ASCIIMath version.)

Re: Curved arrows

Oops - I jut re-read your post and realised this doesn't address your "over some letters" part.

stackrel does it:

Input `stackrel(curvArrLt)(abc)` Output: `stackrel(curvArrLt)(abc)`

X

Oops - I jut re-read your post and realised this doesn't address your "over some letters" part.

<code>stackrel</code> does it:

Input <code>`stackrel(curvArrLt)(abc)`</code> Output: `stackrel(curvArrLt)(abc)`

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Entering math, graphs, images questions

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.