I still hate spyware
By Murray Bourne, 04 Nov 2005
Some months ago I wrote about the agonies of cleaning spyware off my daughter's computer.
Not long after, the dreaded lop.com 'miraculously' appeared again. I finally found some time to do something about it today.
Last time, the lop.com site (actually, m2media.com) provided a cleaning tool (after claiming falsely that you could 'easily remove the lop toolbar using Add/Remove Programs...'). I couldn't find the tool on their site any more, so I...
- tried Spybot Search and Destroy (no joy),
- downloaded Trend Micro Antispyware (it found plenty of suspect cookies, but failed to find lop.com)
- downloaded SpySweeper. This one found lop.com (gave it 'high red alert' status) and removed it - but destroyed itself in the process (gave a 'application has corrupted' message then froze).
Anyway, the good news is that...
- all the unwanted search toolbars are gone,
- all the hijacked browser home pages are back to normal (lop gives you advertising pages instead of what you have chosen as a homepage) - including in Firefox (before it only affected IE)
- All the annoying advertising popups are gone
- all the unwanted bookmarked gambling and adult sites are gone
Until next time, at least.
My advice: Don't download MSNPlus - that is where this lop rubbish comes from.
Be the first to comment below.