Skip to main content
Search IntMath
Close

IntMath forum | Basic Algebra

order of operations [Solved!]

My question

As the kids always say - this is probably a stupid question - but how can we assume the following order of operation:

15 divide by 3b assuming it means 15 divide by the product (3b).

15÷3b=5/b

Is it simply a matter of convention?

Does it make a difference if written as 15÷3×b ?

Relevant page

Order of Operations - BODMAS

What I've done so far

15/3b=5/b
but it can also mean 15/3*b

X

As the kids always say - this is probably a stupid question - but how can we assume the following order of operation:

15 divide by 3b  assuming it means 15 divide by the product  (3b).

15÷3b=5/b

Is it simply a matter of convention?

Does it make a difference if written as  15÷3×b ?
Relevant page

<a href="https://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html">Order of Operations - BODMAS</a>

What I've done so far

15/3b=5/b
but it can also mean 15/3*b

Re: order of operations

Hi Rika

I often come across this when programming, where I know what I want (in this case, `15/(3b)=5/b`), but if I write 15/3b, the computer will give me `15/3xxb=5b`.

In coding, as in mathematics, multiplications and divisions are performed left to right as you come to them.

We have to write it with brackets to make it clear we want to divide by all of `3b`:

15/(3b)

Regards

X

Hi Rika

I often come across this when programming, where I know what I want (in this case, `15/(3b)=5/b`), but if I write 15/3b, the computer will give me `15/3xxb=5b`.

In coding, as in mathematics, multiplications and divisions are performed left to right <b>as you come to them</b>.

We have to write it with brackets to make it clear we want to divide by all of `3b`:

15/(3b)

Regards

Re: order of operations

Thanks a lot, Murray. I agree, looking from coding side.
Regards
Rika

X

Thanks a lot, Murray. I agree, looking from coding side.
Regards
Rika

You need to be logged in to reply.

Related Basic Algebra questions

Basic Algebra lessons on IntMath

Tips, tricks, lessons, and tutoring to help reduce test anxiety and move to the top of the class.