Matrix operations applet
By Murray Bourne, 14 Nov 2007
I recently updated the Matrix Interactive on IntMath.
Some of the mathematics used to make this interactive:
- Matrix operations – adding, subtracting, scalar multiplying and multiplying (obviously)
- Floor function, which rounds a number down to the nearest integer (Math.floor)
- Maximum and minimum comparisons (Math.max and Math.min)
- Cartesian coordinates (for placing the objects on the screen)
- Geometry (height and width of matrices for spacing)
- Arrays (which are a kind of matrix)
- 3-D Geometry (z-levels of objects for placing things on top of other things)
- Transformational geometry (rotating the left matrix bracket to form the right matrix bracket)
- Hexadecimal numbers (eg 0xABABAB) for colors
- Functions, which are operations that are repeated in the code. You can send variables to a function (eg function createMatrix0(matRows, matCols, type) )
When working on this kind of project I find that I cannot relax until I finish it. I could have spent another few hours giving it some more flair and style, but enough is enough.
Was it worth it? That matrix multiplication page is a high traffic page, so I hope so. Besides, I do enjoy the programming brain challenge.
Yesterday I finally got it all working and published it – go check it out: Matrix Interactive.
Be the first to comment below.