Randy Pausch Last Lecture
By Murray Bourne, 12 Aug 2008
This is a superb video.
At the time of writing, over 6 million people have viewed it. Randy Pausch was a lecturer at Carnegie Mellon University and he sadly passed away from cancer in July 2008.
There is some excellent stuff in this video:
- Education should be less about book learning and more about doing.
- His ETC (Entertainment Technology Center) has expanded to Australia and Singapore.
- His attitude to his plight (knowing that he will be dead within months) is positive and inspiring.
- Peer assessment is very powerful as a motivator and as feedback.
- A main aim of his: "Millions of kids having fun learning something hard."
- Creativity and fun are key elements of effective education.
- Education is largely about selling
- Be willing to learn from your students - they are not blank slates, after all.
- Be a Tigger, not an Ee-yore.
- Dreams can be achieved.
What a cool lecturer.
See the 2 Comments below.