Resurrecting Interactive Mathematics
By Murray Bourne, 03 Feb 2005
I have been working on a revamp of Intereactive Mathematics lately, since the server where it is currently housed will be decommissioned sometime soon.
The new stuff is at Interactive Mathematics.
The revamp includes the following:
- removing all deprecated html (font tags, etc)
- ensuring HTML4.01 compliance
- redesigning it all using CSS and ensuring compliance
- making it search engine friendly
- attempting to make it cross-browser compliant (This part is quite a nightmare. How I hate Internet Explorer and all its non-standard ways of doing things. And Netscape and Firefox do not display Symbol font - not a good situation for a mathematics website.)
- allowing for different screen resolutions
- using CSS buttons (as opposed to 'real' buttons or images) for navigation
- using a "fixed" area for the navigation buttons (works similar to frames, but without the hassles) - does not work in IE
Any comments on the navigation and other usability issues?
See the 1 Comment below.